Thursday, November 13, 2008

I love Jury Duty!

For some reason, I get picked for jury duty ALL the time. I've gotten out all 5 of them before because I've been in school, or I could use the relocating excuse since I was moving between Phoenix, Flagstaff, and Tucson regularly before pharmacy school. I got another jury duty slip for July, but I was supposed to be starting my job right around then so I postponed it for 90 days. So, November 4 was finally my day. Now, being a federal employee is just amazing since I get paid for jury duty without having to use any of my leave. AWESOME! So, I showed up to the Pima County Superior Court and went to the juror waiting room and was shocked to find literally hundreds of people. Plus, it smelled of B.O. and cigarettes, so that was enough to make me want to get out of there ASAP. There were about 4 seats left in the whole place, and I found a fantastic chair in a less smelly and crowded back room. However, I made myself comfortable for only 30 minutes until my name was called. I was actually really hoping that I would get picked for a jury since I would still get paid, my job is pretty independent so it could wait, and I thought it would be interesting.
So, I was in a group of 40 waiting to go into the courtroom. The first 21 people sat in the juror's box and were questioned by the judge, and as each got picked off one of us from the "galley" would take their place. Some of the things some people said to get out of being picked were quite amusing, including pretending to not be able to hear, understand English, and faking a disdain for the court system as a whole. However, most people were excused since this was a domestic violence case and they had either been a victim or accused of domestic violence at some point in their lives. Then, they said the charges were kidnapping and aggravated assault which sounded like it would be an interesting case.
So, I ended up getting picked which I was very excited about! I got to be in the jury for three full days which I felt like I was playing hooky from my job. Turns out, the case was a "he said, she said" which stemmed from the man moving out of his girlfriend's house and he decided to take his big TV with him. They were like 60!! It was pretty pathetic in fact, and seemed to be a waste of a lot of people's time. I did get to be the jury foreman which was cool, but we only deliberated for about 6 minutes. He was obviously not guilty. Anyway, I hope I get picked for next year! What a nice vacation!

No comments: