Monday, October 20, 2008

Not on my watch!

So, last Monday I chose to work at Walgreens since I had Colombus Day off at the VA. Thirty minutes before I left, I began reviewing a prescription written for oxycodone IR 15 mg #90. For my non-druggist friends, this is kind of like Oxycontin, but it is a quick release form instead of extended release. My first clue that something was up was that I could actually read the letters of the "doctor's" signature. This NEVER happens. I can usually identify maybe the first letter of the first and last name, and that's about it. If the name isn't printed somewhere on the prescription, this also usually means I have to call and find out who wrote it. Clue #1. Clue #2: The prescription was written September 12, and it was now October 13. PLEASE! These people are in the pharmacy within 30 minutes of the doc writing the rx. I then looked to see if there had been any other prescriptions from this doctor filled at this store, and there was a very similar one filled there on Saturday. I then looked at the patient's profile, and he had never had a prescription filled at a Walgreens EVER. Clue #3. Clue #4: No insurance on file. Unfortunately, it was 6:30 at night and I didn't think anyone would be at the doctor's office, so I almost filled it.... but on second thought I decided to try to page the doctor just to make sure. Turns out someone actually answered the phone and said someone has been forging these rx's multiple times in Phoenix (where the doctor was located) and that the doctor had not even worked in that office for months!! Next call, the police. By now, I was quite scared as pharmacy robberies seem to be a nearly weekly occurrence in Tucson and Phoenix. You just never know what the crazies will do. The police officer, who was probably younger than I was, showed up and had no idea what to do, but at least he had a gun. I tried paging the "patient" back to the pharmacy, as no one even knew what he looked like, but no one responded. The cop left, and it was time for me to go home. It turns out the guy came back after I left to pick up the prescription. They just pretended not to be able to find it, and he figured something was up and left before the cops came back. Damn!! I wish that creep was sitting in jail right now. Don't mess with me FORGERS!!!

1 comment:

Anna H said...

How exciting! Aren't you quite the crime-stopper!